Friday, July 14, 2017

2017 Ecuador Cayambe/Antisana Skills Expedition and Chimborazo Extension (June 30 - July 14) Dispatch 4

July 10 Dispatch:

Climbers: Jonathan Myers, Sandee Myers

Guide: Jaime Avila

Hello Again!

We attempt Cayambe Saturday night, but the weather stopped us. We had great hopes for this climb because the forecast was showing low winds and mild temperatures, but everything changed on the mountain!!!

We left the hut in the middle of high winds. They were blowing all night, and we want to give it a try in case conditions got better as we got closer to the morning.

We made it to the glacier but that was it. The winds were just too high. I have to say, each member of our team worked really hard and did a great job coping with the winds. They were great. But because we saw no signs of improvement with the weather, we knew the route was not at all practical that day. We stayed warm, but that would have been much harder to accomplish high on the mountain where the winds were undoubtedly worse.

After the climb we had some more food and a nap and then headed back to Quito in the early afternoon. And last night we had dinner at a local food restaurant, Mama Clorinda, and my daughter Tamia joined us!!! It was a lot of fun. The restaurant offers some traditional Ecuadorian food, so it's fun to sample some unusual dishes. They do a great job!

Now we are driving (with Sandee and Jonathan) towards the hut on Chimborazo, (Hermanos Carrell), and we are planning to do an acclimatization hike tomorrow. And there's a chance we will do some ferrying of gear to a high camp to make our summit day shorter and easier. This is a huge mountain, so sometimes that is worth the effort. If we do that, we will move up to the camp on Wednesday and climb for the summit on Thursday.
As you know, phone reception can be poor over there, so, it's most likely that you will hear from us on Friday night!!!!
We are hoping we will have some good news for you along with a summit pic!!!
All the best,

No comments: