February 21st Dispatch
Climbers: Michael Watson, Glenn and David Booth, Eric Safieh, Eric and Loic Vincent, Susan Mullins, Dean Doyle, James Murray, Tom Fry
Lead Guide: Jeremy Devine
Hi, this is Jeremy!
Our group is learning some valuable lessons about the mountains!
We are at the lower Chimborazo Refuge. There was a snowstorm last night and at the moment it's snowing sideways! On our drive to the refuge today, there was snow on the road, as well. Our driver did an excellent job in getting us here safely, but it took a little longer than expected.
With the current conditions and our delayed start, we have decided not to continue on to the high camp tonight, as planned. We will stay at the lower Chimborazo Refuge this evening, and if the weather is good enough, we will leave at 10:00 pm to begin our long ascent. If we are not successful, we will stay at the refuge tomorrow night and try again in the wee hours of Thursday morning.
Our group is doing very well, especially considering this change in plans. We've had such beautiful weather on Cayambe and Corazón, it's a little disappointing to be facing more challenging weather conditions now. However, this provides a great opportunity to discuss the ways we are humbled by the mountains and it puts the relative scales of humans and mountains into perspective. We may have joined this trip to learn about climbing, but we are learning so much more than how to climb!