Monday, May 14, 2012

Denali Team 1: April 29 to May 19, Dispatch #10

Denali Team 1: April 29 to May 19

Guides: Alasdair Turner, Chad Cochran, Aili Farquhar

Climbers: Maria Conceicao (Dubai), Stephen Martin (UK), Christopher Kulish (Colorado), Zlatko Filipovic (Sweden), Steve Bain (Colorado),  Christopher Heywood (Oman), Sergey Dmitriev (Russia), Vitaly Simonovich (Russia)

Mike Pond from Team 2 called at 10:36pm PST on May 13th with the following dispatch: We are calling from Camp 2 at 11,200ft. I am sorry to report that Team 1 is with us and on their way down. Due to poor and inclement weather they were not able to proceed above camp 4 at 14,200ft. 

With high winds and considerable snow fall the route was not in safe conditions for climbing. The team was forced to make the very hard choice, but the wise choice, to turn back and return when the conditions will allow for safe passage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear maria,
Hope you are doing well going up the mountain. I know that it is hard for
you. I don't mean to disturb you as I know you are going through difficult
As you already know our school team has won Scholar's Cup in Dubai round
and we are eligible for the World round. It is now the time to give an
answer to
school if I can join my team to go for the World round in Bangkok on 20-25
June. My teacher is asking me if I will be able to travel with the team (3
us) and she needs the answer very soon. I have emailed Mrs. Francoise the
letter from the school and also the permission letter from my parents,
which they can sign again after she adds some comments. Everyone is
supporting this and I am sure we can find a solution for the funds.
I would like to know and pass your answer to the school whether I can be
allowed to make this trip. I have worked so hard for this and I want to go.
Have a safe climb and hope you will answer as soon as you can because we
are all waiting for your answer.
Thank you