Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Denali Team 8: June 10 to June 30 - Dispatch #3

Guides: Andrew Yasso, Mary Harlan, Paul Rosser

Climbers: Geoff Strommer (Oregon), Jennifer Logan (UK), Paul Davies (UK), Steven Hart (Florida), David Chambers (Texas), Brian Roark (Texas), Virginia Cross (Australia), Swati Olebe (New York), Selina Dicker (UK)

Andrew Yasso called June 11th at 9:43pm PST with the following dispatch: Hi it's Andrew calling from Kahiltna base camp. It's a bit rainy right now but we had some good weather today. We got sled rigging done. We learned to travel as a rope team. We talked about tying our knots and hitches and we're all good on our skills so we're ready to get this climb under way and down the Kahiltna glacier. We are looking forward to descending down Heartbreak hill. It always seems much better going down it. You're thinking oh that's not bad, on the way back "not bad" is not usually the phrase in mind. Anyway, hopefully it's a long-time before we get back on it. 

We are kind of hoping for the Kahiltna glacier to freeze up a little bit so it's a little more solid. We're kind of playing it by ear, if it doesn't freeze up we may call a delay because this lower glacier can get heavily crevassed this time of year and we want to make sure we're on it at the safest time possible. Anyways, we're still eating a ton of food and ready to start burning some calories. It's a single carry from here to Camp 1, which means we've got all our gear and food for the entire expedition on our sleds and backs and are moving it in one push. Our next call will come, hopefully, from Camp 1. Please send us some sunny skies. Wherever they are send them our way. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - waged sincerest appeal to the Supreme Weather Maker to blow Jackson Hole's sunny, cool skies up your way. Colonel, thanks for the post - my heart accompanies your every step. Look 4ward to hearing from you again soon.