Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Denali Team 8: June 10 to June 30 - Dispatch #20

Guides: Andrew Yasso, Mary Harlan, Paul Rosser

Climbers: Geoff Strommer (Oregon), Jennifer Logan (UK), Paul Davies (UK), Steven Hart (Florida), David Chambers (Texas), Brian Roark (Texas), Virginia Cross (Australia), Selina Dicker (UK)

Andrew Yasso called June 26th at 12:37pm PST with the following dispatch: The weather allowed a short break last night so Paul and I were able to rush up the fixed lines and retrieve our cache. Which is a great thing because with impending weather moving in we're glad to have our cache and all of our food and supplies back and now it's just a matter of making a reasonable exit strategy. We don't really want to descend through avalanche terrain so in a little bit we're going to check with the National Park service and get as much of a conditions report as possible and if it seems like things are stable we'll try and move through tonight to get to base camp. With the weather down there no groups are flying off the glacier but, as they say up here you can't fly off the mountain unless you're at the airstrip. But for now being in snow here is better than sitting in rain down there. We'll let you know if we're moving down tonight when it's cooler. Otherwise we'll be hanging here waiting for conditions to improve eating fat, having fun playing lots of UNO. We'll keep you posted.


Anonymous said...

mary- you brought up the UNO huh?
talk to you soon!

Lisa said...

Hey Paul & Team 8 ~ Been sending some messages but not sure you are rcving them via this blog post. Just know I am sending vibes for a safe descent. I know everyone gave their best and the weather is such a wild card.
Your friend, Lisa in Colorado

Natasha Swan said...

I hope the weather cooperates, and I'll be praying for a safe and speedy decent!